Now that you have a handle on managing your WordPress site, this course will take you behind the scenes and show you how to build a custom WordPress theme. Using HTML5/CSS3 you will learn how to develop a custom theme; setup custom loop queries for your log, pages, and archives; add custom post types to manage additional content; create custom page templates; add a site search; familiarize yourself with the WP codec; and more. Leave class with a fully functioning custom theme you can immediately use or easily customize to meet your needs.
Check out all of our WordPress Classes.
Beautiful designs, powerful features, and the freedom to build anything you want. WordPress is both free and priceless at the same time. 28% of the web uses WordPress, from hobby blogs to the biggest news sites online.
WordPress Themes are files that work together to create the design and functionality of a WordPress site. Each Theme may be different, offering many choices for site owners to instantly change their website look.
You may wish to develop WordPress Themes for your own use, for a client project or to submit to the WordPress Theme Directory. Why else should you build a WordPress Theme?
- To create a unique look for your WordPress site.
- To take advantage of templates, template tags, and the WordPress Loop to generate different website results and looks.
- To provide alternative templates for specific site features, such as category pages and search result pages.
- To quickly switch between two site layouts, or to take advantage of a Theme or style switcher to allow site owners to change the look of your site.
Why should you build your own Custom WordPress Theme? That’s the real question.
- It’s an opportunity to learn more about CSS, HTML, and PHP.
- It’s an opportunity to put your expertise with CSS, HTML, and PHP to work.
- It’s creative.
- It’s fun (most of the time).
- If you release it to the public, you can feel good that you shared and gave something back to the WordPress Community (okay, bragging rights).