Toxic Load–Lighten your Toxic Load to Live Longer
If you do just ONE thing for better health, do yourself a favor and drink filtered water. When possible, avoid unfiltered tap water and bottled water (unless you truly know it’s sourced from a natural spring). Here’s why:
- In 2009, Environmental Working Group (EWG) found 316 contaminants (such as heavy metals, pharmaceuticals, and pesticides) in tap water supplied to Americans in 45 states. 202 of those chemicals were not subject to any government regulation or safety standards! (www.ewg.org/tap-water/fullreport)
- Every year, at least 1,000 new chemicals are introduced into the environment…and many of those unregulated chemicals end up in public and private water supplies.
- Each year there are over 200,000 violations to the EPA’s 1974 Safe Drinking Water Act.
- When the chlorine that is used to disinfect our water supply interacts with organic materials in source water, disinfection byproducts (DBP’s) are created which contaminate tap water.
DBP’s such as Trihalomethanes (THMs), Haloacetic Acid (HAAs), and Chloroform have been linked to various cancers, reproductive problems and other health issues.
Aside from drinking DBP’s, their vapors are also inhaled into your lungs and absorbed through the open pores of your skin when taking hot showers.
- Bottled water is subject to even fewer regulations than tap!
Bottom line: Many contaminants in our water are not subject to safety regulations, can legally be present in any amount, and have never been assessed for toxic effects in humans.
So what’s the solution?
1. Drink and shower with filtered water! If affordable, install a whole-house filter. (www.ewg.org/tap-water/getawaterfilter)
2. An activated granular carbon filter is perfectly sufficient for the shower. Look for products with “NSF” certification or “California Certification”.
3. A carbon filter is better than no filter for drinking water, but Reverse Osmosis filtration (with a pre and post carbon filter) is best and will eliminate 99% of contaminants. You can install a filter in your kitchen, or fill bottles from a grocery store water dispenser that uses R.O. technology.
Note: Reverse Osmosis also removes minerals. Adding ¼ tsp of Pink Himalayan Sea Salt per gallon of water will help restore mineral content.
4. When available, natural Spring water is best for drinking. It’s pure, clean and minerals are intact. (www.findaspring.com)
Your body needs clean, pure water for daily detoxification. If you don’t use a filter, YOU are the filter!